Friday, July 22, 2016

XC Summer Series 5k - 07/20/16 Race Report

I decided I won't be picking favorites with the write-ups and just do one for every race I run.  Going into the race, I thought running a 5k would be a nice change of pace for me, especially considering I would have my first triathlon of the year only a few days later.  I felt fresh going into the race, and thought I had a shot to break 18:00.  I spiked up and got to the line about 30 seconds before the start.  The race director gave us a count down and just like that, 100+ runners exploded off the line.  I surged to the front and was sharing the lead with a college-aged runner who soon pushed the pace. I tucked myself into the back of the front group of 6 runners, all looking college age or younger, with me being the outlier.  The pack strung out slightly as the trail turns 180-degrees around 3/4-mile through.  I came through the first mile in 5:28, a bit faster than I expected but I felt strong.  The front-runners had built up a small lead entering the first hill and I dropped back to 6th place.  I remained there as we headed back to the start line to begin our 2nd of 2 loops.  

I could feel the pace of the 4th and 5th runners beginning to break down.  After a few well timed surges, I found myself neck and neck with the 4th place runner as we passed through 2 miles.  My 2nd mile was 5:37 which was faster than I expected as well.  I grabbed 4th place as we made our the 180-degree turn for the 2nd time, though I could feel both runners right on my tail.  I could tell my pace was slipping I just hoped I had enough to hold these two off.  Sure enough, I came through the 3rd mile in 5:53, which I was hoping was a little bit faster but can't complain.  I knew if I held a strong pace to the line I would be under 18:00.  Sure enough, I crossed the line in 4th place with a time of 17:47.1 officially.  Not to shabby for someone who hasn't run a sub-6:00 mile since last year.  Happy with the finish, I'm looking forward to the triathlon this weekend.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment